The Frinton Literary Festival are pleased to announce a 500-word Flash Fiction competition for 2019, to coincide with the Literary Festival.
We are looking for stories with a strong flavour of Tendring. We are blessed with a wonderful coastline, countryside and towns, as well as a rich history, interesting characters and coastal and rural industries. Your story can be of any genre, and set anytime in the past, present or future. Whatever aspects of Tendring you choose as the basis for your story, just make sure you tell us in up to 500 words (excluding title) and email it to us by the deadline of October 31st 2019.
The winner (in the opinion of the judges) will receive a £50 Caxton Books and Gallery gift token.
Two runners up will be awarded a £25 gift token (for Caxton Books and Gallery) each.
See the terms and conditions below for further information about how to submit your entry.
Two FREE workshops will provide prompts and flash fiction story techniques:
16th October 2019 – 10:00-12:00 and 18:00-20:00
These will be hosted at:
2, Connaught Avenue,
ESSEX CO13 9PW
Tendring Tales 2019
Terms and conditions of entry
• Frinton Literary Festival 2019 Flash Fiction Prize is only open to writers resident in the Tendring council area.
• Entrants must be over 18.
• Family members or close friends of the three judges will not be eligible.
• There is no limit to the number of entries any one entrant is allowed to make. Each entry must be sent in a separate email.
• Flash fiction pieces of up to 500 words, excluding the title, are eligible for entry. Entries over this length will not be eligible.
• Stories of all genres are accepted.
• All submissions must be written in English.
• Format your story in Times New Roman or similar font, Size 12, 2.0/1.5 spacing, using black font colour
• Please supply your name, the name of your story and the genre in the body of the email and attach the story as a Microsoft Word .doc or .docx file.
• Stories must be submitted anonymously, without any identifying information on the attachment. Attachments that include names or contact information will not be eligible.
• We are unable to offer personalised feedback for entries.
• All entries must be submitted via email only to:
We are unable to accept postal entries or hard copy entries. If this poses a problem, please contact Caxton Books and Gallery.
• Our competitions are run and judged internally. Our judging team is comprised of 3 professional authors from Frinton Writers Group who are also members of the Frinton Literary Festival Committee.
• The closing deadline is Midnight, GMT (23:59pm) on the 31st October 2019.
• Winners will be announced on or before Sunday, 10th November 2019 on the Frinton Literary Festival website http://www.frintonliteraryfestival.co.uk
Winners will also be notified by email with details of how to collect their prize.
Anita Belli: Anita is both a traditionally and independently published novelist. She writes 20th Century Historical Novels and Contemporary Romance, and has published a craft book to accompany her workshop series. She works in schools, libraries and communities to inspire as many people as possible to explore creative writing, tell their own story and to publish their work. https://www.anitabelli.com
Lesley Kara: Lesley Kara is an alumna of the Faber Academy ‘Writing a Novel’ course. She completed an English degree and PGCE at Greenwich University, having previously worked as a nurse and a secretary, and then became a lecturer and manager in Further Education. She lives on the North Essex coast. The Rumour is her first novel, published by Transworld. http://lesleykara.com
Gerald Hornsby: Gerald has written several full-length novels and hundreds of pieces of short and micro fiction. Active in independent publishing since 2010, he has published books on writing craft, and a collection of his own short fiction. Gerald has been a co-host of the Literary Roadhouse podcast for over 3 years, is co-founder of writing consultancy The Novel Makers and writing support services company writer.support. http://gerald-hornsby.com